Individuals suffering from a long term health condition may qualify for NHS Continuing Healthcare.

Sadly, there many individuals in the UK living in care homes who are unlawfully paying for their continuing healthcare, which should be paid for by the NHS.

If you are concerned that you are wrongly paying for care home fees, you may be eligible to make a claim.

Conditions covered by NHS Continuing Healthcare include the following:

  • Alzheimer’s Disease
  • Stroke
  • Dementia
  • Diabetes
  • Epilepsy
  • Arthritis
  • Heart Disease
  • Cancer
  • Skin conditions such pressure ulcers, open wounds
  • Incontinence
  • Severe mental or physical disability
  • Mobility problems
  • Individuals in altered states of consciousness
  • Communication problems
  • Breath difficulties

Please note that this isn’t an exhausted list.

Due to the ‘post code lottery’ many individuals are being offered different levels of support provided by the NHS Continuing Healthcare funding depending on their Primary Care Trust. If you are required to receive healthcare in a nursery or care home, you should be entitled to have your fees paid for.

Can I claim on behalf of a relative?

Yes, you can reclaim care home fees on behalf of a relative.

How do I know if myself or my relative is eligible to reclaim care home fees?

If you believe you are wrongly paying for care home fees, an assessment can be completed to determine whether or not you can reclaim the  money you have already paid.

care home fees claimsThe assessment is carried out by the Local Authority. Unfortunately, there have been many cases  where the assessment has been carried out wrongly causing residents to pay for their continuing healthcare out of their savings or by selling their homes.

Often the Local Authority fails to recognise the severity of the patient’s condition. Assessments can be re-submitted if the individual feels the outcome isn’t fair. If the assessment reveals that you or a relative are eligible, there is a good chance that you can reclaim the care home fees you or a relative have already paid.

Will I receive a full refund?

If you or a relative were wrongly assessed when entering a care home, there is a great possibility that you will receive the full amount of care home fees you or a relative has paid.

If you or a relative were correctly assessed when entering a care home, but the Local Authority failed to assess you or a relative’s health condition since then, you or a relative may be eligible to claim back some of the fees.

How do I make a claim?

If you feel that you or a relative is being denied continuing care funding, you must seek legal advice. Solicitors at Roskell Davies and Company have experience in dealing with reclaiming care home fees.

divorce lawyer Birmingham

Our team of experts can help you by processing applications for Nursing Care Contributions when a relative is required Nursing care. We can also help you by reviewing existing Continuing Care Assessments, challenging them where appropriate.

To learn more about our services to you regarding reclaiming care home fees, click here.

If you are concerned that you or a relative is wrongly paying for care home fees, contact us today on  0800 142 2901 to find out where you are eligible to claim.



Back to all news

Share Article With: