If you are involved in an accident that was not your fault, but the faulty party is an uninsured driver, you are likely to be concerned. The first thing you should know it that you can still make a claim for financial compensation if you have been involved in a car accident with an uninsured driver. The second thing you should know is that you can claim for compensation whatever type of insurance you have.

Birmingham whiplash claims

Car insurance is a legal obligation in the UK – but this does not mean that every road user is abiding by the law. There is help in place for people who are victims of people who are driving illegally – without proper insurance cover. You are not alone; the Motor Insurers Bureau is there to help you.

What Do I Do Following An Accident Involving An Uninsured Driver?

For all drivers – all drivers, regardless of the type of insurance cover they have, will need to take down details of the other driver who has been involved in the collision. The vital details you need are their number plate, the make of their car and the model of their car.

You may also wish to ask them for their name, contact details and their insurance company – if they do not have insurance they are likely to be inaccurate with the contact information they provide. Still try your best to get as many details about the individual at fault as you can.

Take some photos of the scene if you can, and take a note down of what happened. If there are any witnesses present, take down their details too.

For drivers with comprehensive insurance – you will be in a good position as your insurance covers you for damage to your car and for personal injury. You have the option to make a claim via the Motor Insurers Bureau if you wish to. They tend to advise you to make a claim for damage via your insurers as it will be processed more rapidly and you will be able to get back on the road. They will deal with a claim for personal injury compensation for you.

Many insurance policies now include a caveat to protect you in the case of a collision with an uninsured driver – so you will not lose your no claims discount or have to pay your excess. Contact your insurers for more information on this. If you do have to pay your excess and your no claims discount is affected you may be able to claim this amount back via the Motor Insurer’s Bureau.

For drivers with third party insurance or third party, fire and theft insurance – Your insurance does not cover you for damage to your car or for personal injury to yourself, but you may be able to make a claim for compensation via the Motor Insurer’s Bureau. This can take an extended period of time but it does mean that in the case of a car accident with an uninsured driver, you will not have to pay for the damage and injury caused to yourself.

If you would like to speak to a personal injury claims solicitor regarding an accident that wasn’t your fault, Roskell Davies Solicitors have a wealth of knowledge and experience to ensure that your claim has the best chance of success. Call us free on 0800 142 2901 or fill out our free enquiry form.



Back to all news

Share Article With: