Often arranging child maintenance can seem like a stressful hurdle to have to cross. You may have to overcome some strong emotions to your ex-partner to be able to deal with child maintenance with a level head. However, for the sake of your child it is extremely important to be able to put issues to bed between the two of you as the child will benefit from this. Children can have a strong relationship with both their parents even if the parents are separated. If both parents have a desire to be a part of the child’s life it will be best for the child if both parents do have a chance to have a relationship with the child, and have an input. There is a lot of help out there for parents who are separating including conflict management, financial advice and how to help your child through the separation.

In terms of child maintenance, it is completely possible to come to an agreement about the nature of the maintenance payments without having to involve an outside agency. Many families do come to their own agreements and this is the least invasive way of going about sorting out child maintenance. However, if you cannot come to an agreement between yourselves help is available – from the Child Support Agency (CSA) and Child Maintenance Service. Maintenance payments will help you to be able to provide your child with everything they need. The parent who cares for the child the majority of the time will receive payments from the other parent. The cost of caring for a child is very high and both parents should understand and accept this responsibility. Not only is child maintenance a responsibility of being a parent, but it is also a legal responsibility.

If you decide to use the statutory child maintenance service to organise payments, they will calculate the amount the non-resident parent should pay the receiving parent. The service can also collect the payments from the paying parent and deliver them to the receiving parent. However, if the parents can come to an agreement of how best to do this between the two of them it will be a lot faster. Not only this, but the service can also help you locate the other parent if you do not know where they live and they can help you resolve parenting disputes.

Finally, if government run services cannot give you the help you require and your ex-partner is refusing to co-operate you can pursue litigation. In England and Wales a court order called a ‘consent order’ will be a binding child maintenance agreement between the two parties and will be enforceable by the courts if it is not being adhered to. In Scotland a similar contract is called ‘minutes of agreement.’ Contact a solicitor who specialises in family law today if you require legal advice.

Contact Us

Contact Roskell Davies today if you need legal advice regarding child maintenance. Call 0800 142 2901 or fill in an online enquiry for a completely free initial consultation with one of our team.

Share Article With: