If you are living in rented accommodation and housing repairs are being carried out, usually you will not be compensated for disruption. This is because repairs do inevitably need to be carried out on a property and it is reasonable to expect a little disruption whilst they are going on. However, if you experience extreme disruption whilst housing repairs are going on, or experience disruption due to your landlord’s failure to complete housing repairs at all, you may be able to gain financial compensation.

Failure To Complete Housing Repairs

Once you have reported an issue to your landlord, unless it is an emergency situation – e.g. a burst pipe, you should allow them approximately 2 to 4 weeks to begin the repairs required on your property. If you experience disruption due to the housing repairs not being carried out within a reasonable length of time, you may be able to be financially compensated for the effect that the failure to complete the housing repairs has had upon yourself and your family. For instance if a leaking roof has damaged your belongings and resulted in you suffering from illness, it is fair to gain compensation for the cost of the damage and for the negative effect of the illness.

Disruption During Housing Repairs

If you experience a large amount of disruption whilst repairs are being carried out, your landlord may compensate you for this. This will be dependant upon how much of the property you could not use whilst the repairs were being carried out. So if you were unable to use half of the property whilst repairs were happening, this would usually translate into a 50% reduction in your rent for the time whilst the work was going on. Talk to a solicitor if your landlord is refusing to reduce your rent whilst severely disruptive housing repairs are taking place.

If the housing repairs take place for a long time, the builders are likely to be using your electricity and other amenities. During long term housing repairs this can begin to have a financial impact upon you and you should talk to your landlord about some fair reimbursement of the extra cost for your bills. For short-term work their usage is unlikely to be extensive at all and you probably will not receive compensation from your landlord for this. The amount of compensation should be approximately equal to the increased cost of your bills over the time of the repairs.

If you are confused about whether you would qualify to be compensated for housing repairs, and about what the fair amount of compensation would be, contact a specialist housing lawyer today.

Share Article With: